Health Benefits of Eating African Indigenous Vegetables
The health benefits of eating African indigenous vegetables are so many that doctors are now encouraging more people to eat these vegetables so as to curb lifestyle diseases. Some of these Africa indigenous vegetables include Common nightshade, Amaranth, spider plant, Jews mallow, Cow peas leaves and many others not mentioned in this article
These vegetables have the following benefits
Health benefits of Common nightshade (Managu/Mnavu/Ogusa/Kitulu)
Nutrients contained in managu include proteins, iron, calcium, vitamin c, phosphorous, vitamin A and B, fiber and carbohydrates. As a result of these nutrients, managu health benefits include helps
• Assist in the formation of red blood cells
• Improve digestion as the leaves contain fibre.
• Helps to keep the skin healthy as it contains vitamin c
• Helps in formation of strong bones
• Improves formation of body cells
• Improves eye sight
Health benefits of Amaranth (Mchicha/Terere/Doodo)
Terere contains nutrients such as proteins, carbohydrates, vitamin K, folate, riboflavin, manganese, iron, potassium, copper, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin B6. The health benefits of terere include:-
• Presence of carbohydrates boost energy in the body
• Assist the body to form connective tissue and strengthens bone by increasing calcium absorption.
• Improves level of blood in the body and boosts blood clotting factors
• It’s essential for normal brain and nerve function.
• Amaranth contains potassium which plays a vital role in the human body. Potassium regulates the water balance and the acid-base balance in the blood and tissues with the help of sodium.
Health benefits of spider plant (Saga/Saget)
Some of the nutrients in spider plant include beta-carotene, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A and proteins, magnesium and iron. Spider plant health benefits are,
• Improve eye sight
• Can be used to treat scurvy
• Known to improve production of milk for breastfeeding mothers
• Good for weight loss
• Improves digestions
• Improves overall body performance and provides energy
• Creates a healthy skin and hair
• Lower body cholesterol
• Reduces chances of getting cancer.
Health benefits of Jews mallow (Mrenda/Murere)
Among the nutrients found in Jews mallow are Beta carotene, vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Potassium, iron, Vitamin E, Folate, Niacin and fiber. Jews mallow health benefits
• Prevents the onset of diabetes
• Improves skin health and helps to defend against infections.
• Lower cases of heart disease
• Lowers increased cholesterol levels
• Helps to control blood pressure
• Lowers symptoms of asthma,flu and colds
• Improves body abilities to fight infections
• normalize menstrual periods in women
A health benefit of Cow peas leaves (Kunde)
Cowpeas leaves contain Ascorbic acid, Beta carotene, vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Potassium, iron, Vitamin E, Folate, and fiber. Benefits of Kunde include
• Improves healing of cuts and wounds
• Promote healthy teeth and gums
• For pregnant women they reduce the risk of spina bifida, neural tube defects and anencephaly when the fetal is developing
• Lower risk of getting some types of cancers.
• Decrease risk of Osteoporosis
• Improves iron absorption
• Lowers risk of getting lifestyles diseases
A group or researchers from Imperial College in London did a research on importance of fruits and vegetables to the body. The research found out that 7.8 million premature deaths in the world would be prevented if people ate around 800 grams of fruits and vegetables per day. Currently a country like United Kingdom has a guideline that encourages people to at least take five portions of fruits and vegetables per day. The overall importance of every individual is to ensure that they take a good portion of fruits and vegetables per day. Since some of the above mentioned African indigenous vegetables are easily available it therefore important to include them in our daily diet. Health benefits of eating African indigenous vegetables article is meant to encourage more people to start or increase intake of these vegetables so as to promote good health.