How to Cook Swahili Pilau Rice
Approximate time to use
Preparation time 10-15 minutes
Cooking time 36-40 minutes
Total time used 46-55 minutes
Ingredients – How to Prepare Swahili Pilau Rice
- Rice 1/2 kg
- 2 cups of water
- Cubed beef 1/2 kg
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1table spoon crushed ginger
- 1 tea spoon of ground Black Pepper powder
- 6 table spoons of ground cooking oil
- 1 table spoon of ground cinnamon powder
- 1 table spoon of ground cardamon powder
- 1 table spoon of ground cumin powder
- 2 sliced tomatoes or tomato paste
- 5 chopped onions
- Put the meat in a pot and boiling until it is well cooked.
- In another pot put the chopped onions, add oil and fry. For alight colored Pilau the onions should be lightly golden. To have a dark Pilau one will require to cook the onions further to a more darker golden colour.
- After the onions are cooked to the desired level add small amount of water to prevent further cooking.
- Add the ground ginger, garlic, black pepper, cinnamon, cumin and cardamom and stir. NB. An already mixed Pilau masala can be used as it contains cinnamon, cumin and cardamom. The spices used also determine the colour of the Pilau. If more Pilau masala is added the darker the color and vice versa.
- After the spices are cooked add the chopped tomatoes to improve the colour. To ensure the tomatoes are fine they should be smashed as one stirs the mixture
- Add the meat after the tomatoes have been smashed properly and stir well to ensure the meat is covered with the species
The above instructions will help you learn on How to Cook African Swahili Pilau Rice. Make that delicious meal for your family and friends. Best way on how to make pilau swahili way.