How to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
Sometimes having a stuffy nose is very frustrating, where you cannot even blow your nose to get some relief. This is because of stuffiness which comes from the inflamed and irritated tissues in the sinuses and nasal passages. When you are fighting off a cold or flu, tissues and blood vessels inside the nose become swollen from excess fluid offering you that terrible stuffy feeling. In most cases, a lot of people think a stuffy nose is as a result of excessive mucus in the nasal passages, though this is not the case. It is as result of the inflamed blood vessels in the sinuses.
The good thing is there are home remedies to get rid of a stuffy nose. As much as there are over-the-counter medications that are often used to treat the stuffiness, there are many simple home remedies to clear a stuffy nose and offer a natural relief.
You can try the below remedies to cure a stuffy nose.
How to cure a stuffy nose
1. Hot Shower – How to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
Are you really sure? Yes, having a hot shower is one of the best ways to relieve stuffiness. This is because the steam generated from the shower will relieve the irritation and inflammation. Though, this is temporary, also, when you have excess mucus, while having a shower the steam will thin the secretions and help them draw off.
If you do not feel like having a shower, you can get some hot water; place it in a bowl and cover your head with a towel. You can add some essential oils to make the process faster.
What you require
-A shower with hot water or Bowl of steamy water
Make the water as hot possible.
Stay in the steamy washroom for at least 15 minutes.
Close the bathroom door to ensure the steam does not get out.
2. Make Saline Drops
Saline drops have been known to be a good remedy for a stuffy nose. Saline drop is basically a mixture of water and salt.
When you have that worst kind of stuffiness, trying to blow your nose and if does not improve. A saline solution is the best to clear your stuffy nose.
What you require
– One teaspoon of sea salt and not the table salt
– 1 cup of boiled water or purified
– A dropper
– A sterile glass jar
– Half teaspoon of baking soda (optional)
Instructions – How to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose
– Boil one cup of water, if using tap water, to get rid of any impurities and if you are using purified or distilled bottled water, warm it so as to be able to dissolve the salt.
– Put the warm water in a cup
– Add one teaspoon of sea salt and the baking soda (optional),
– Stir the mixture or shake it before use
– Ensure the dropper is clean and sterile
– Blow as much mucous out of your nose before applying the drops.
– Lie on your back.
– Slightly hang your head to prevent the drop running straight down the throat
– Place the tip of the dropper just past the inside of the nostril
– Squeeze 1-3 drops per nostril.
– Stay in the same position for 5-10 minutes to allow the solution to flow into the nasal passages
– After a few minutes, or after the 10 minutes, blow your nose.
– Repeat the process up to 3 times a day throughout the period of your cold or stuffy nose.
3. Stay hydrated
Stay hydrated when sick. Drink a lot of fluids such as water, juice or sports drinks. These fluids will help thin the mucus in your nasal passages, therefore, pushing the fluids out of your nose and at the end decrease the pressure in your sinuses. When you have less pressure the inflammation and irritation reduces.
4. Compress something warm
A warm compress can help unclog a stuffy nose by opening the nasal passages from the outside. The warmth will provide comfort from any pain and help relieve the inflammation in the nostrils. A good way to clear a stuffy nose
What you require
– Warm water
– Soak a towel in warm water.
– Squeeze the water out of the towel
– Fold the towel and place it over your nose and forehead.
– Repeat this process when need be to get optimum results
5. Eat spicy foods
Spicy foods can temporarily relieve a stuffy nose. Try using spices such as ginger and peppers.
6. Use Basil
Basil can be used to clear a stuffy nose.
Collect fresh basil leaves
Clean them properly
Chew 3 or 4 leaves in the night and morning.
You can also consume basil leaves with tea to get better results.
7. Consume Hot Soup
Consuming hot soup can clear the stuffy nose. Prepare any kind of soup that you like and consume.
The lemon can be used to get rid of the stuffy nose. Take two teaspoons of lemon juice, black pepper powder and a pinch of salt. Mix them properly and apply around your nasal area. Be careful it does not touch your eyes.
9. Hot Ginger
Ginger contains some high anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce the stuffy nose problem. Drinking up hot ginger tea is also good to open up you