6 Natural Ways to Whiten Teeth at Home
Many people have paid dentists just to have their teeth whiter. There are some who become successful and others end up being hurt or feeling pain after some time as they actually do not know what was applied on their teeth.
Most of my friends and I included have always wanted to have some nice white teeth. This made me to start doing some research on how to make my teeth whiter naturally without going to a dentist for whitening or bleaching.
You can naturally restore whiteness to your teeth, though it requires time and patience. It’s not a one thing that you will do overnight and oh! Your teeth are white again. Having naturally white teeth is an admiration for many people. People will see more like you took good care of your teeth.
Why do our teeth turn yellow?
Want to know how to whiten the teeth? We have to first understand why they turn yellow so that we will be able to maintain them or try reversing the color to white.
There are many factors that have showed to get our teeth yellow, this includes the kind of food and drinks we consume, genetics, how best we carry out oral hygiene among other factors.
A tooth is made up of four tissues which are:-
a) Enamel – this is the strong white outer layer that protects the tooth
b) Dentine or dentin – the hard part that forms the main part of the tooth. It supports the enamel and it also is the hard yellow material that carries the nerves
c) Pulp – is found at the center of the tooth and it contains lymph vessels and blood
d) Cementum – it covers the root of the tooth.
What plays the biggest role in our teeth is the enamel and dentin. There are some foods that we eat on a daily basis that will stain the enamel. The worst foods are those that break down the enamel and weakening it as you age. Therefore breaking the enamel and exposing the yellow dentin.
It’s important to keep in mind, doing things to keep our enamel strong from breaking and being eroded. A little prevention will go a long way than trying to whiten the teeth. On this article we are going to look at remedies on whitening teeth that has already lost some white enamel.
1. Baking Soda and Lemon Juice Paste
To whiten your teeth you will use baking soda and lemon juice paste. Baking soda is also known as sodium bicarbonate, a substance that is used in baking cakes and other things as well as making some fizzy drinks and medicine.
Gently scrub away the surface stains to return your teeth to a whiter shade. Baking soda is also very alkaline, if you ate a lot of acidic food or your mouth is very acidic, it will help in balancing the Ph. This will be very useful as acidic things break down the enamel. The baking soda also reduces the acidity of the lemon juice that sometimes acts as natural bleach. Occasionally you can use a mixture of baking soda and water, while others days use lemon juice so that you do not over do it.
What your require
– Enough baking soda or a number of teaspoons
– Place to mix the paste
– A toothbrush
– Lemon juice or water to form a paste
– Take a bowl or a suitable place to mix the paste.
– Put several teaspoons of baking soda into the bowl.
– Mix it with lemon juice or water to make a paste.
– Take a dry paper towel or anything you have and wipe your teeth dry and to remove any saliva.
– Take your tooth brush, put the paste onto it and apply.
– Leave it for one minute on the teeth and then rinse. Leave it for 3 minutes if you are just using water.
2. Salt, Strawberry and Baking Soda Scrub
The strawberries are rich in Vitamin C that can help break down plaque that causes your teeth to appear yellow. The strawberries also have an enzyme called malic acid that can be used to get rid of surface stains.
Salt used acts as a scratchy portion of the paste, actually being used to scrub away stain causing substance, and the baking soda is just an addition.
What you require
– One to three large strawberries
– Pinch of seat salt
– Bowl or a place to mash the berries
– (Optional) 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
– Paper towel or a cloth
– Tooth brush
– Take the bowl and place the strawberries inside
– Crush the strawberries into a soft tissue
– Add a pinch of sea salt and ½ teaspoon of baking soda (baking soda is optional – if available)
– Wipe any saliva off your teeth using a paper towel or a cloth to dry your teeth and mouth.
– Take your tooth brush and apply the mixture
– Allow the mixture settle for 5 minutes before rinsing your mouth
– Repeat this every night
3. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is whereby you swish oil in your mouth to get rid of harmful germs as well as bacteria from your mouth. The Vegetable oil which contains lipids will absorb toxins and pull them out of saliva, at the same time stopping cavity by enabling the bacteria not to stick to the walls of your teeth.
The process is usually very simple, inexpensive and harmless. Oil pulling also helps to promote gum health, as well as keep your breath fresh.
What you require
– A tablespoon of coconut oil – most common, you can also use Sesame oil and olive oil. Coconut oil is the most popular because of its taste and its richness in natural antioxidants and vitamins.
– Lukewarm water
Take a spoonful of oil and swish it in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes a day to have good results. This is to ensure the oil absorbs and detoxifies a lot of bacteria it can. Best time to do this is on an empty stomach especially in the morning before eating.
After the swish, spit out the oil and rinse your mouth, with lukewarm water.
4. Whitening Your Teeth with Activated Charcoal
The activated charcoal is usually different from the normal barbecue charcoal as it is usually meant to be used as medicine. Activated charcoal works by absorbing chemicals. It is mostly used as a remedy for intestinal gas or acid. The charcoal can also be used to draw stains off our teeth.
What you require
– Activated charcoal in Powder form
– 2 tooth brush
– Put some wet toothbrush into the powdered charcoal.
– Brush your teeth by rubbing them in a circular motion for about two minutes.
– Spit out the charcoal.
– Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water to remove all the charcoal. Swish the water around to remove any remaining charcoal in your mouth.
– Brush your teeth normally with a different brush to refresh your breath and remove any leftover charcoal on your teeth.
5. Use Orange Peels
Orange peels have been used in whitening of the teeth. What you will require from the orange is the white part of the orange skin which is located between the surface and the meat of the fruit. The white part contains d-limonene which can help in removing the stains from your teeth. You will take 2 to 3 weeks of daily usage in order to notice the changes.
– Peel the orange and get the white part of the peel which contains the chemical that we want
– Rub the white part of the peel over your teeth.
– Wait for the juice to sit on your teeth for 3 – 5 minutes
– Brush your teeth normally. Repeat this daily.
6. Use a Banana Peel
Ripe bananas have also been found to remove stains on our teeth. Ripe bananas have a high amount of magnesium, potassium and manganese which can help remove stains from teeth. You will take 2 to 3 weeks of daily usage in order to notice the changes.
– Peel the banana.
– Rub your teeth with the inside of the peel
– Rub for 2 to three minutes all over your teeth
– Let the juices sit on your teeth for 15-20 minutes.
– Remove any solid pieces of bananas if stuck on your teeth
– Brush your teeth normally using your usual fluoride toothpaste and brush
– Repeat this two or three times a week
Most of us who try out these natural ways of whitening our teeth mostly want to see the results immediately or within a week. You might start seeing the difference. Your teeth might not be as white as the bleached one, but you will feel healthier . Try out these natural ways to whiten your teeth fast.
Teeth Whitening Tips
• Set up a routine or timetable and use these remedies for teeth whitening to get the best results.
• Try to avoid foods that stain your mouth such as dark drinks, though sometimes this will be a very difficult task.
• Use products that are easy to find in whitening your teeth, do not use some breaching agents